Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Nursery purchases, before and after.


I haven’t mentioned much about the progress of the nursery. Don’t be fooled I have been like an insane woman scouting, sanding or painting furniture for the nursery.

I have been on the lookout for a bookshelf and laundry hamper for a while now both on ebay and thrifting. Finally, I found both on my thrift trip over the weekend. Both are cane and in pretty good condition. I get so excited and I love LOVE finding items during my trips. Don’t get me wrong, I usually don’t find anything but sometimes you just get so damn lucky!

I wanted these in the nursery so they obviously needed to be repainted white. This is my first “project” with spray paint so I really didn’t know what I was in for. I found spray paint by White Knights which is lead free and has non chroming properties. A great find given I’m six months pregnant!

Firstly I cleaned the hamper and bookshelf. And then I put my gear on, shorts/tshirt/thongs a.k.a. workwear, goggles, mask and spray painted my heart away. I didn’t realise that spray painting was so difficult! Ok not difficult but…awkward?! In hindsight, I maybe should have used a brush instead. Has anyone else tried to paint cane furniture? Did you have any issues?

Took a few hours to dry and once ok I had to put it in the nursery immediately. It’s very shabby chic but i think it works!



I started to paint the shelf before I realised I hadn’t taken a picture! So the before shot of the shelf should really be titled “in progress”.
 

 
I forgot to mention  the lid on the hamper wasn't attached so I used black ribbons to keep it in place and allow for opening and closing.
 
The nursery is almost finished. I am just waiting on a toy box, which I'm not sure I will get *sigh*.
 
The room smells like paint so I had to move some plants in there to filter the air. I *heart* indoor plants .... but I'll save that for another post.
 
Until next time!

1 comment:

Post a Comment